October 25, 2011

one bit on my mind

One bit of my life I want to include on this blog is my home.  Specifically, I would like to document my journey to improving parts of my home step-by-step.  As a renter, this journey can't involve a kitchen or bath reno (phew!) or even a paint color change for that matter (boo, lease agreement), but I hope to improve, recreate, and up-cycle some terrific new and old pieces I own.  I love beautiful pieces and functional spaces, and I believe these two ideas are not mutually exclusive.  I have been collecting inspiration for eons.  Now, if only pinterest would send me an invitation like I requested, so that I could keep track of all of those ideas...  (edited 10/27/11 : They did! I'm on pinterest!  Check me out!)


Here is the place I should be adding a huge disclaimer in bold lettering: I've never DIY'ed anything in my entire life.  I can't draw a straight line to save my life, and I've never painted anything except for an over-sized piece of paper on an easel when I was 4-- and yes I was wearing a "smock" that had had a previous life as my Dad's work shirt when I did that.  


Ok, that feels better...

Beacon Hill photograph courtesy of FayFoto/GBCVB

I live in a 2 1/2 bedroom, 2 bathroom apartment in a beautiful, historic neighborhood with one of my oldest, best-est girlfriends.  There is nothing "new" about our apartment (I said historic), but it has solid construction and there is charm out the wazoo!  (My mom always says that... I understand it, but this may be one of those times when I lose my audience... stick with me!)  We have solid hard wood floors, terrific molding around the windows and doors, spaaacccceeeee, and a great floor plan.  In short, we love it.

Some of our favorite parts of our apartment.  (These are the little things you enjoy as a renter, because you know you can't add them yourself!):

Swoon!
Note the paint splat from the previous tenants, which adds to the character...
Did I mention 2 bathrooms?  Can I tell you that this is the first time in my life I've had my own bathroom?  Yea.  It's amazing.  And, to explain the "1/2" business in the bedroom description, honestly we are still trying to figure it out ourselves.  There are 2 small bedrooms-- actually, one I would categorize as teensy-- and one extra space/anti-room (in addition to our living room) in which there is a humongously large closet.  We are currently using the room as an office (I work from home occasionally)/ dressing room/ dining room on the occasions we find ourselves "entertaining"/ throw-all-kitchen-drawer-type-room.  It helps to separate the two bedrooms and make the apartment feel open, airy, and private.

Here's another "original" we are blessed with in. every. room. of. our. apartment...


Floor plan and house tour and the first exciting project coming soon! And if you're like me, and you've learned to become a great site stalker researcher over the years, you might be trying to get a sneak-peak from old photos I've posted like this one.  You're welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment